Fall food is the best, isn’t it? Rich, flavorful, and spiced just right…I love it. It’s also really, really easy to eat all the fall food (Halloween candy! pumpkin pie! turkey and cranberry sandwiches!). I plan on indulging in my favorite fall foods, as I always do…but this year, I’ve found some healthier options that let me feel like I’m indulging when really, I’m just eating something healthy (WIN WIN!).
And speaking of apple recipes, you can check out a whole slew of Fix-friendly apple recipes here.
OK, but back to these baked apples now. This recipe comes from Chellie over at Art From My Table (have you seen her peanut butter protein bars? yum…).
21 Day Fix Baked Apples
How to make them:
- 4 apples (I used Graham Spy, Jonogold are great as well, you want one that will get tender but not break down too fast)
- 4 tsp chopped peans1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- Core apples with an apple corer. Be sure to only go 3/4 of the way down, don’t cut through the apple.
- Place apples in an 8x8 baking dish
- Place1 tsp chopped pecans inside the well of each apple.
- Place 1/4 tsp cinnamon over the pecans
- Top each apple well with 1/2 tsp coconut oil.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the dish.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until apples are tender, but still in tact.
- While the apples are baking, make the yogurt sauce by combining vanilla yogurt with apple pie spice and stirring well.
- Top apples with yogurt sauce.
- Container counts: 1 purple, 2 tsp, and 1/4 red (not even that, really...I don't know that I'd even count it...or, knowing me, I'd double it up!).
Be sure to join us on Facebook for more healthy recipes, free printables, and meal planning and budgeting help (and, the occasional cupcakes).