This year marks a momentous event for me – I wrote my first book! I hope it’s the first of many…and it comes after years and years and years or writing just for the heck of it.
This was actually one of my first “real” blog posts. I’ve come back to it today to update it because I really think these 25 creative writing prompts sort of paved the way for this blog. This was the first post people actually read (yay!). If you want more, you can check out the writing prompts follow up post here.
Creative Writing Prompts
Some of them are silly, some of them are serious. But they’re all better than just sitting around thinking about how you have nothing to write about. Right?!
And so, here are 25 writing prompts for your writing pleasure. Enjoy – and get writing!
1. What is your earliest memory?
2. If you had to eat the same meal over and over again for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?
3. What is the oldest piece of clothing in your closet that you still wear?
4. What material object do you cherish the most?
5. Tell about a lesson you learned in middle school.
6. Describe the most vivid dream you can remember.
7. Create a character ten years older than you of the opposite sex and write about their day in first person.
8. Describe an object in the room without mentioning it by name.
9. Make up a recipe.
10. Pick a controversial issue you are passionate about – and then argue the opposite stance (ooooh…I dare you).
11. Write a letter to your sixteen-year-old self.
12. Write a letter to your ten-years-older-than-you-currently-are self.
13. Start with the day of the week it currently is…and then let your stream of consciousness take it from there.
14. What is your favorite book, and why does it speak to you?
15. If you could have any skill in the world (that you currently don’t have), what would it be?
16. What was your favorite thing to imagine when you were a child?
17. Write a letter to the President. Without mentioning politics.
18. Describe your perfect day.
19. Write a letter apologizing to someone you owe an apology to (if you don’t owe anyone an apology – make it up).
20. Why do you like to write?
21. What inspires you?
22. When do you feel your happiest and most complete? How does it feel when you are experiencing this?
23. Describe your favorite sound.
24. What kind of work do you like best?
25. Write about the first thing that happened yesterday morning.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.