Sheet Pan Herb-Roasted Chicken
If you’re not here for Trader Joe’s week, let me give you a quick rundown. I’ve created 7 dinner recipes (and one cookie recipe) using my favorite (and your favorite!) items from Trader Joe’s. Of course, you don’t need a TJ’s to make these recipes – I’ve got subs for all of the TJ-exclusive ingredients. At the end of the week I’ll have a printable meal plan with a grocery list to make all of these recipes yourself!
And if you would like meal planning help in general, be sure to join my meal plan challenge below!
It’s the chicken and the kale, y’all!
TJ’s is famous for it’s all natural boneless skinless chicken breasts,which are featured here. I also like that I can buy a bag of pre-washed, pre-cut kale. It’s perfect for this recipe, and makes it that much simpler. And both of these ingredients can be easily found at any grocery store, so if you don’t have a TJ’s near you, don’t worry – you can still make this recipe!
Also – it’s a sheet pan meal! I love dinners like this because they’re easy and everything gets cooked at the same time.
And I want to make sure to mention that this recipe is a great option for the 21 Day Fix and Weight Watchers, along with any whole foods diet. I’ve got container counts for the Fix and WW points included in the recipe information below.
Here’s what you need to make this recipe:
1½ lbs. red potatoes
6-8 whole garlic cloves, finely minced
1 large red onion, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
6 chicken breasts
10-12 sprigs fresh thyme
1 large lemon, cut into 8 wedges
2 cups of kale
Sheet Pan Herb-Roasted Chicken and Kale with Red Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs red potatoes washed and cut in quarters
- 1 red onion roughly chopped
- 6-8 garlic cloves finely minced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp rosemary fresh, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 10 thyme sprigs, fresh
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 2 c kale washed, stems removed, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with
parchment paper or a silcone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine potatoes, red onions, minced garlic,
olive oil, and fresh rosemary. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to
taste, and arrange the veggies on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Add the chicken breasts to the bowl and coat with any remaining rosemary
and olive oil mixture. Season the chicken with additional salt and black pepper,
if desired, and nestle in between the veggies along with the lemon wedges and
sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Transfer veggies to the baking sheet and nestle chicken in between the veggies along with the lemon wedges and sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Roast in the pre-heated oven for 30-25 minutes, or until the veggies
develop nice color and the chicken is nearly done. Remove baking sheet from the
oven and stir in the fresh kale.
- Return the sheet pan to the oven and roast for another 10-12 minutes, or
until the chicken is completely cooked* and the kale is wilted. Remove from
oven and transfer chicken and potatoes to a serving platter and loosely cover
with foil (alternately, just leave on the sheet pan and cover with foil). Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- * Always cook meat to temperature, not by time. Actual cooking time will
vary based on a number of factors, including internal starting temperature,
individual oven variations, size and thickness of the meat, what else is in the
oven while cooking, etc.
The minimum safe recommended cooking temperature for chicken breasts is 165°F
And if you like easy sheet pan recipes (who doesn’t?!), here are some I think you might like: