I think pumpkin and pasta go together like peanut butter and jelly. So. Delicious. One of my favorite seasonal things to is a pumpkin ravioli…it’s so good tossed in some olive oil (with pine nuts or pistachios, if I have any!). I am waaaaaay too lazy to make homemade ravioli so I wouldn’t even dream of trying to recreate that recipe from scratch, but this whole wheat Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta is a delicious substitute (and, this recipe is great for the 21 Day Fix and Weight Watchers!).
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta
Before I jump into this recipe, I want to share a couple of notes about the recipe.
The main ingredients in alfredo sauce are butter and heavy cream. Because I wanted to make a recipe that would work for the 21 Day Fix and not use up all of your points on Weight Watchers, this is a much lighter version! This recipe doesn’t include any butter or heavy cream. Instead, its creaminess originates from the pumpkin. Yum!
This recipe also uses a dry white wine in the sauce. I used an inexpensive white cooking wine, which is only a couple of dollars at my local grocery store. If you don’t have wine, or would like to leave it out, you can substitute for chicken broth, water, or apple cider vinegar.
21 Day Fix Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pasta
To keep this recipe “Fixed,” I went with a whole wheat pasta and subbed out heavy cream for almond milk. I’ve made a serving size of one cup, but you can definitely have more if you have the containers for it. Or, have less and save those containers (this would be a great side dish to a protein of your choice, but I also think it stands alone as a meal).
If you’re looking for more pumpkin recipes for the 21 Day Fix, here’s a huge collection for you. And here’s a collection of 21 Day Fix pasta recipes, too.
Weight Watchers Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta
If you’re following Weight Watchers, you have some flexibility with this recipe! I used whole wheat pasta because A) it’s better for you, and B) the points are SO much lower with whole wheat pasta. Of course, you are free to use any pasta you want…but just remember to track any changes you make.
If you’re looking for more pumpkin WW recipes, I love these pumpkin muffins and these protein pumpkin spice pancakes!
Pumpkin Alfredo Whole Wheat Pasta
- 10 oz whole wheat pasta
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 c dry white wine
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
- sage leaves for garnish
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta, reserving 2 cups of cooking water.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, salt, and pepper. Saute until onion starts to get translucent.
- Add garlic and sage and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add white wine and simmer until reduced by about 3/4. This will probably take about 5 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, almond milk, parmesan, and 1 1/2 cups of the reserved cooking water and heat through.
- Carefully transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Add more of the reserved cooking water if needed.
- Mix 4 cups cooked pasta with the sauce until noodles are coated. Add additional parmesan and sage leaves to garnish, if desired. Enjoy!
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER
Sign up here for my weekly newsletter and get a FREE printable Home Binder with over 40 beautiful pages of planning help delivered immediately to your inbox! :)
Very good! I love how the pumpkin gives this dish a suble sweetness!