If you’re looking for a way to enjoy some low-carb tacos, these 21 Day Fix Taco Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are just what you’re looking for! Not only they are low-carb, but they’ve also got lots of flavor and are easy to customize to your liking.
21 Day Fix Taco Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
There’s a lot you can do with a portobello mushroom cap. They are the perfect way to serve up some deliciousness, as you can use them like you’d use a lettuce wrap. Basically, anything that could go on a sandwich or wrapped in a tortilla can be served in a mushroom cap!
These taco-stuffed mushrooms are a great low-carb option for anyone looking for a taco fix.
You can find more 21 Day Fix-friendly taco recipes here.
Variations for your Portobello Tacos
One thing I love about recipes like this is that there are so many ways you can change it up! You can basically add anything you love as a topping. If it goes in a taco, there’s not reason it can’t go here!
I used a lean ground beef. You could also use lean ground turkey, or leave the meat off entirely for a veggie-loaded experience.
Want more onions? Grilled onions would be a real treat on these.
Like it spicy? Add some jalapeno!
This recipe calls for taco seasoning. You can use a Fix-approved, store-bought version. Or, you can make your own 21 Day Fix Taco Seasoning with this recipe.
Taco Stuffed Portobellos
- 6 Portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 16 oz lean ground beef
- 2-3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 c water
- 8 oz four cheese Mexican blend finely shredded
- 4 green onions green party only, finely sliced
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes quartered
- 1 medium avocado
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash and prep all produce.
- To prepare the mushroom caps, gently remove stems by hand. Scoop out the gills with a spoon and discard.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. With a pastry brush, brush olive oil on the outside of each mushroom cap, and around the interior and edges. Set finished caps on lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Ove medium-high heat, brown ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink. Carefully drain off excess fat and return to heat.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix and 1/2 cup water to the skillet. Stir to distribute taco seasoning evenly. Cook on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, or until excess water cooks down, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Divide the seasoned beef amongst the 6 muschroom caps. Add approximately 1 ounce of shredded cheese to each cap and top with sliced green onions.
- Place baking sheet on middle rack of oven and bake until cheese is melted. Keep an eye on it. This took my oven about 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and cook for a couple minutes before serving.
- Top with chopped tomatoes, avocado, additional cheese, and green onions.
Be sure to track your container counts for the toppings. You can easily measure out the cheese and avocado for these to make sure it’s just right.
Happy Taco Tuesday!
Looking for other mushroom recipes? These cute little Italian-stuffed mushrooms look delicious.