Going out to eat with your family, friends, or coworkers should be fun. It should be an experience and chance to bond and create memories with the people you love, and that should be dampened by your diet (or anything else for that matter!) Luckily, these 10 tips for dining out with Weight Watchers Freestyle will help you realize that saying “yes” to that dinner invitation can be sooo easy 🙂
10 Tips for Dining Out with Weight Watchers Freestyle
- Feel confident at home with your points – Before making the leap and heading out to dinner, practice counting and recording your points at home. You’ll come to understand the point system, which will make selecting your meal much easier once you check out the menu.
- Check out the online menu – Have a peek at the healthier options and find ways that you can modify them to meet your plan. This will get easier as you adapt to your new diet, but get that smart phone out and start your planning before you even walk in the door!
- Be okay with modifying your meal – Servers are used to customers with dietary restrictions and personal preferences (trust me, I’ve been in the industry for 15 years – I’ve seen/heard it ALL) so don’t be shy when asking them to hold the butter, steam the broccoli, or substitute fruit for hash browns. And don’t be afraid to ask questions about the menu!
- Ask for a to-go box…in advance – Ask your server to box half of your meal before it hits to the table so you’re not tempted to go overboard (if it’s in front me, I will eat it, so let’s just eliminate that personal torture before it gets to me.) Plus, you’ll have leftovers for lunch the next day.
- Share your meal – I’d say 90% of the time I go to lunch my girlfriends, someone at the table asks “Hey, do you want to just split something?” Start answering YES. Lots of ladies these days are looking for healthier options in their diets, so find a buddy who is comfortable enjoying similar meals and sit next to her. And it’ll save some moolah 🙂
- Take advantage of rollover points – Save these for special occasions. Use to have a glass of wine with your dinner or share a dessert with your dining partner.
- Continue to track points – Once you’ve finished your meal, don’t forget to record it! Yes, count those zero point items, too – they’re not total freebies! Tracking points will help you establish healthier eating habits and be aware of all you put in your body.
- You have app…use it! – This makes counting points quick & easy. Get it all in there before you even start the car (unless it’s super hot and you need the A/C, then I guess start the car first 😉 )
- Start a bullet journal – Bullet journals are all the rage these days, so jump on that train! Use it to stay motivated, create a vision board, or challenge yourself throughout the week. New to bullet journaling? Check it out here to get started!
- Take notes on where you eat – Record great meals that you’d like have again (the burrito bowl at the restaurant down the street, maybe?) and list the restaurants that easily accommodate the program (a super friendly waitress who nailed your modifications, or a menu that is already very health-conscious.) These will help you when deciding where to dine out.
Here are some other great posts for Weight Watchers Freestyle: