Welcome, fellow journalers! I am so glad you’re here. Journaling is a practice in my own life that has helped my find clarity, peace, and growth. I hope to share that with you here in a way that makes it simple, sustainable, and enjoyable. These September journal prompts and journaling printables were made with love (and a little help from the universe!), and will guide you through the month and help you start or grow your own journaling practice.
This month, I’ll be sharing the prompts every day on Instagram, too – come join me!
September Journal Prompts
How to Use These September Journal Prompts
I have provided 30 prompts – one for each day of the month. You can go through the list in order, mix it all up, or skip the prompts entirely that don’t interest you. You may find that one prompt really resonates with you and want to journal on that for several days, or even for the entire month. Remember that journaling is very personal and that there is no “formula” for doing it right. Most of my own journaling involves just writing out my thoughts and feelings based on things I was feeling, something I experienced, or something that I needed to work out in my head and heart.
There is no right or wrong. You may find yourself journaling for pages and pages on one prompt, and only writing down a word or a short sentence for another. That’s totally okay! This is your journal, and your journey.
Some of these prompts have a spiritual feel. That’s because for me, journaling is a spiritual practice. However, if that word doesn’t resonate with you just replace anything of that nature with “highest self” – that is really what we are all working towards here.
I do recommend incorporating a gratitude practice into your journaling practice. All you need to do is write down one thing you’re grateful for each day (although you can certainly write down as many as feels right – here’s a lot more help if you are new to gratitude journaling!).
How to Use These September Affirmations
I have included a printable page of affirmations for you, as well as a place in the printable journaling packet that encourages you to write your own affirmations. You can write them down (I always recommend this) and/or say them out loud. Saying them out loud is very powerful! You can also use these as a mantra if you meditate, or just as reminders to yourself throughout the day. You can read this post about how to use affirmations for more help – I really believe in affirmations and think they have a place in your journaling practice, too! 🙂
What Type of Journal to Use
Again – no rules here! Use whatever journal you like the best. I have included journaling printables here. You may want to use these (as you’ll see, I have one for “long form” journaling and one for shorter entries). I’ll be releasing new ones every month, so you may want to use these and keep them together in a binder or folder. Or you can use any notebook you have around the house. Some people like to keep a digital journal (hmmm…like a BLOG!), or just keep a file on their laptop. I type a lot faster than I write, but I always use a pen and paper to journal with. It just feels more cleansing to me.
If you’re looking for a Dot Grid Journal, we make and sell a beautiful one (I am totally biased, but I made these specifically because I was dreaming about a journal just like this…so I made one). You can use code CEJOURNAL for $5 off any Dot Grid Journals (they are made in Texas and have the most beautiful paper!).
You don’t need anything fancy or expensive to get started though. Truly, all you need is a place to write. <3
I have written out all 30 of the prompts below. You can download the August Journal Prompts, along with the Journaling Printables, at the bottom of this post.
Journal Prompts for September
- How does September’s energy feel to you?
- What does September mean to you?
- What will the beginning of fall bring to your life?
- Does September bring up any emotions you need to work through?
- What do you love more about fall?
- What books are you reading or will you read this month?
- What can you release? How can you remind yourself that you have released this when it returns?
- Compare this September to last September. You can compare what you did to what you’re doing, how you felt to how you’re feeling, or any aspect of the months that feel similar or dissimilar.
- What is your favorite thing to eat right now?
- How would it feel to take a break from social media?
- How can you present, right this second?
- How has your spiritual self been tested this month?
- How has your spiritual self grown this month?
- What happened today?
- Take three deep breaths in and out. Once your breath settles, let the words flow.
- How are you treating your body this month? What have you done well? What does your body need to feel better?
- Have you given love to your home this month? What have you done to make it feel special?
- What is something positive you’ve seen in the media lately?
- How can you focus on what brings people together, rather than on what tears people apart?
- What is an affirmation that is meaningful to you? When do you use it?
- Give examples of when you’ve felt loved.
- Give examples of when you’ve loved others.
- Now that some time has passed, what was something that happened in August that was impactful?
- Who has helped you this month?
- How can you be content, just the way you are?
- What three things are you grateful for right this second?
- Have you nurtured your spiritual self in September?
- How have you connected with your community this month?
- How can you be open to receiving more money?
- How did September feel?
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER
Sign up here for my weekly newsletter and get a FREE printable Home Binder with over 40 beautiful pages of planning help delivered immediately to your inbox! :)