If you’re looking for a homemade spaghetti sauce recipe that everyone will love, I’ve got you covered
Actually, my Mother-in-Law’s got you covered – this is one recipe that my “Cooking with Grammie” series would be incomplete without – everyone loves this stuff (even picky people, like me). It’s full of flavor and super hearty (I’ve been known to eat this by the spoonful).
Grammie's Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes flavored with Basil & Garlic is perfectly okay!
- 2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce again, go crazy with the Basil & Garlic flavors if you'd like!
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 1/4 - 1 1/12 pounds of ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or, we used 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt optional if you need to avoid salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or, you can use oregano, thyme, basil
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 1/8 cup of sugar
- Dash of pepper
- Sautee the chopped onion in a small amount of butter or oil (if you're using garlic cloves instead of powder, include it with the onions).
- Remove from skillet.
- Brown the ground beef in the skillet. Pour off the grease.
- Add the sauteed onion back into the ground beef and stir.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and the tomato paste.
- Add 16 ounces of water (just use the tomato sauce cans).
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add the spices and sugar.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least 4 hours with lid on, stirring occasionally. Or, you can put it in a crock pot and let it cook on low for 4 hours.
- Before serving, be sure to remove the bay leaf.