Welcome journalers, would-be journalers, and just-getting-started journalers. You have found the right place! Journaling is a practice in my own life that has helped my find clarity, peace, and growth. I hope to share that with you here in a way that makes it simple, sustainable, and enjoyable. These August journal prompts and journaling printables were made with love, and will guide you through the month and help you start or grow your own journaling practice.
August Journal Prompts
How to Use These August Journal Prompts
I have provided 31 prompts – one for each day of the month. You can go through the list in order, mix it all up, or skip the prompts entirely that don’t interest you. You may find that one prompt really resonates with you and want to journal on that for several days, or even for the entire month. Remember that journaling is very personal and that there is no “formula” for doing it right. Most of my own journaling involves just writing out my thoughts and feelings based on things I was feeling, something I experienced, or something that I needed to work out in my head and heart.
There is no right or wrong. You may find yourself journaling for pages and pages on one prompt, and only writing down a word or a short sentence for another. That’s totally okay! This is your journal, and your journey.
Some of these prompts have a spiritual feel. That’s because for me, journaling is a spiritual practice. However, if that word doesn’t resonate with you just replace anything of that nature with “highest self” – that is really what we are all working towards here.
I do recommend incorporating a gratitude practice into your journaling practice. All you need to do is write down one thing you’re grateful for each day (although you can certainly write down as many as feels right – here’s a lot more help if you are new to gratitude journaling!).
How to Use These August Affirmations
I have included a printable page of affirmations for you, as well as a place in the printable journaling packet that encourages you to write your own affirmations. You can write them down (I always recommend this) and/or say them out loud. Saying them out loud is very powerful! You can also use these as a mantra if you meditate, or just as reminders to yourself throughout the day. You can read this post about how to use affirmations for more help – I really believe in affirmations and think they have a place in your journaling practice, too! 🙂
What Type of Journal to Use
Again – no rules here! Use whatever journal you like the best. I have included journaling printables here. You may want to use these (as you’ll see, I have one for “long form” journaling and one for shorter entries). I’ll be releasing new ones every month, so you may want to use these and keep them together in a binder or folder. Or you can use any notebook you have around the house.
If you’re looking for a Dot Grid Journal, we make and sell a beautiful one (I am totally biased, but I made these specifically because I was dreaming about a journal just like this…so I made one). You can use code CEJOURNAL for $5 off any Dot Grid Journals (they are made in Texas and have the most beautiful paper!).
You don’t need anything fancy or expensive to get started though. Truly, all you need is a place to write. <3
I have written out all 31 of the prompts below. You can download the August Journal Prompts, along with the Journaling Printables, at the bottom of this post.
Journal Prompts for August
- How does August’s energy feel to you?
- What does August mean to you?
- What are you looking forward to this month?
- Does August bring up any emotions you need to work through?
- Describe the weather and how it makes you feel.
- What books are you reading or will you read this month?
- What are you craving in August?
- Compare this August to last August. You can compare what you did to what you’re doing, how you felt to how you’re feeling, or any aspect of the months that feel similar or dissimilar.
- Summer is ending. How does this look, taste, sound, feel?
- What are you looking forward to in the fall?
- How can you present, right this second?
- How has your spiritual self been tested this month?
- How has your spiritual self grown this month?
- What happened today?
- Take three deep breaths in and out. Once your breath settles, let the words flow.
- How are you treating your body this month? What have you done well? What does your body need to feel better?
- What is a favorite quote of yours, and why?
- How are you feeling about social media this month?
- Think of a time you’ve been influenced, for the better or the worse. How did that happen? Unpack your feelings around “influence.”
- Write down three things that you can always come back to when you need to be present.
- What does “I AM,” mean to you?
- What does your body want from you?
- Write about a favorite mantra of yours.
- Write about an animal you love.
- What person has been important to you in August?
- What three things are you grateful for right this second?
- Have you nurtured your spiritual self in August?
- How have you connected with your community this month?
- What are you learning?
- Has journaling been hard for you, or does it come easy? How does journaling make you feel?
- As the month comes to a close, describe how August felt.