Since we’ve started meal planning (on week four and going strong), I’ve really been looking for recipes that my kids will eat with as little drama as possible. I’m making a conscious effort to keep the kids in mind when planning dinner so I know there will be foods that they will eat, and I’m trying to introduce new foods that I’m pretty sure they will like. Last week, I made Grammie’s lasagna recipe.
Jack tried to tell me he doesn’t like lasagna, but I knew he would…he likes noodles, ground beef, and cheese…this lasagna is right up his alley.
And you know what? It was a huge hit.
The best thing about this lasagna is that we were able to get two dinners and lunch out of one pan (it actually tastes even more delicious the next day). You can also freeze this – after both kids were born, Grammie made us a big batch of lasagna and we froze it in portions…it was SO NICE to be able to heat up a chunk of homemade lasagna when I was hungry after a day of caring for a newborn.
Cheesy Meaty Lasagna
- 1 8 oz. package of lasagna
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 16 oz. can tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 package spaghetti sauce mix
- 16 oz. mozzarella cheese in slices or 2 cups grated
- 16 oz. cottage cheese
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Brown meat in heavy skillet and drain the grease. Add salt, garlic, and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spaghetti sauce mix. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Cook lasagna as directed on package. Drain and rinse.
- Into an 8" x 12" (or 9" x 13") baking dish, pour 1/3 of the meat sauce, cover with half the strips of lasagna, then half of the Mozzarella, then half of the cottage cheese. Repeat layers: 1/3 meat sauce, the rest of the strips of lasagna, the rest of the Mozarella, and the rest of the cottage cheese. Put the final 1/3 of the meat sauce on top. Then sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of that.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes.
“Cooking with Grammie” is a monthly-ish event on the blog! I’m excited to practice my cooking skills and share with you some of Grammie’s most delicious (and easiest) recipes.