As my kids start to grow up a little bit, spending time together as a family becomes easier and takes on new meaning. Everyone is able to go to the bathroom by themselves, they have attention spans long enough to sit through an entire movie, and they are old enough to get excited about eating their favorite foods for dinner. One of our favorite family activities is Family Movie Night.
In fact, my kids love movie nights so much that we basically use them as bribery. If the kids can get ready for school every day without any whining or fighting in the mornings (they only go two days a week, so it shouldn’t be that hard) , then we get to watch a movie together on Thursday night. Parenting genius.
This last week, we made movie night even better by surprising the kids with their favorite foods – Tony’s Pizza (which means we don’t have to cook, yay!), tons of fresh fruit, and popcorn – served in the living room (dinner in front of the TV is exciting) while watching one of their favorite movies.
Tony’s Pizza is delicious – made with real cheese, authentic tomato sauce, and now a crispier, crunchier crust, it makes everyone in my family happy. I am super picky, and my son is super picky, so we stuck with plain cheese. But we also bought a pepperoni pizza for later – and there were several other flavors to choose from, too.
Of course, the best part is that the kids love it. They don’t complain when they see it on their plate (in fact, they get excited! PIZZA!), and they eat it all up.
Even my oldest (pickiest) child ate his dinner.
Of course, Family Movie Night wouldn’t be Family Movie Night without a movie, right?! We love movies, but my kids are both at the ages where they think it’s perfectly acceptable – and even awesome – to watch the same movies over and over and over again. This means that if it were up to them, I’d have Frozen and Star Wars basically playing on repeat. Forever.
We have to make an effort to break out of our movie rut, and I’ve found that it can be tough to come up with movies that the whole family, from toddler to grown-up, can enjoy. If you’re like us (watching Frozen allllll day, e’ery day), this list is for you!
10 Movies the Whole Family Can Enjoy Together
- Frozen – I had to list this one just.in.case you haven’t seen it. Because it is really, really good.
- Mary Poppins – Singing, dancing, cartoons, Julie Andrews. Can’t go wrong here.
- A Bug’s Life – The grasshoppers were a teeny bit scary, but my kids love this movie.
- Black Beauty – Maybe a little bit slow for younger toddlers, but older kids will love this story that is told from the horse’s point of view.
- The Jungle Book
- Toy Story – Everyone loves Toy Story!
- Wall-E – A movie with a message. Save the earth and be healthy or else.
- The Love Bug – Remember The Love Bug? That silly little car? Funny stuff for a kid!
- Winnie the Pooh (the 2011 one) – This movie is pretty short (barely an hour, I believe) which makes it great for the littler ones.
- Cars – A favorite of both of my kids, and fun for the grown-ups, too.