My family’s favorite restaurant, when I was a kid, was a chilly, dark and quiet Chinese restaurant decorated with towering golden dragons and giant fish tanks. I’d sit on the red vinyl seat of the booth and snack on crispy noodles dipped in sweet and sour sauce and watch as my parents filled my little teacup halfway up with steaming green tea. I’d plop in an ice cube and use my fork to swish it around until the tea was cool enough to drink.
My parents would let me order a Shirley Temple. Do you remember these? A fizzy red drink with a cherry floating on top, it was everything to me. Except, I don’t drink anything carbonated, and I never have.
I didn’t like the drink.
I liked the ritual. I liked how it made me feel grown-up to order a drink with a name. I liked ordering something special, pulling the cherry off its stem with my teeth, and then taking sips so little I could barely feel the fizz against my lips (because if I didn’t at least pretend to like it, my dad would tell me I could never order another one).
Today I’ve found my own kids love to order “special” drinks, too (strawberry lemonade or a fruit smoothie at a restaurant, particularly). And with party season coming up (ALL THE BIRTHDAYS), I thought I’d put together a list of mocktail recipes the whole family can enjoy (except the bubbly ones…those ones can be enjoyed by everyone *but* me).
- How about some Frosted Lemonade? Everyone will love this.
- This Sparkling Raspberry Lemon mocktail looks so refreshing for summer.
- This Strawberry Mojito looks SO good. I love that it has honey in it.
- These Raspberry Lemonade Mocktail Mojitos would be fun for a baby shower.
- This Mocktail Mojito looks easy to make and also perfect for a warm evening.
- Kids will love this Creamy Dr. Pepper Mocktail recipe!
- Also sure to be a kid-favorite is this Strawberry Coco Loco Mocktail.
- This Texas Sunrise Mocktail is perfect for brunch!
- Also perfect for brunch? This Mimosa Mocktail.
- And how about this Virgin Pina Colada?
- I feel like this Citrus Strawberry Mocktail would be perfect for any occasion.
I still don’t like Shirley Temples…but I will always remember how special it was to order one!
What is your favorite mocktail recipe?
If you’re looking for more, check out this (affiliate link) complete book of Mocktails available on Amazon!
Follow us on Facebook for easy recipes, meal planning help, free printables and family-friendly fun!