When we moved from the country to the suburbs, I had one non-negotiable requirement for our new neighborhood. I wanted to be within an easy driving distance to Starbucks, Target, and Kohl’s (priorities, people!).
To be honest, I had only shopped at Kohl’s a handful of times…it was a 45-minute drive to the nearest store, and with a job and a small child, that kind of commute just didn’t fit into my lifestyle. But every now and then, I did make it to a Kohl’s…and I loved it. I could spend hours inside Kohl’s – so many things to look at, so many clearance racks with insanely low prices to sift through, so many shoes – it’s a dream come true for someone like me, who loves to shop but likes to get some serious bang for her buck.
I love that I can buy clothing, housewares, toys (and even gift wrap and cards) and shoes for the entire family – all under one roof.
We’ve been in our current neighborhood for two years now, and we do, indeed, have a Kohl’s within easy driving distance. I would even say that I do more than half of our family’s clothes shopping at Kohl’s, due to the huge amount of stuff to choose from and the low prices (I once bought a dress for $1.90, WINNING!).
Here are some tricks of the trade for saving loads of money at Kohl’s.
- Shop the clearance racks. I have found some amazing deals on clearance. A few months ago, I found a dress for $1.90. Last week, I bought Claire a pair of baby yoga pants (and who doesn’t need baby yoga pants!) for $2.40. These are the clearance prices, but the best part about Kohl’s is that you can…
- Stack coupons! I save all of the catalogs and coupons I get in the mail. These are usually good for 15-30% off, and these savings can often be applied to clearance prices! If you’re a Kohl’s charge card holder, you’ll also get additional coupons for up to 30% off. Which brings me to the one exception we make for our “NO CREDIT CARDS” lifestyle…
- Get a Kohl’s charge card. You can get extra coupons that are exclusive to Kohl’s charge card holders, and you can pay your card off in a second transaction right after you use it. So, I will make a purchase on my Kohl’s card to take advantage of coupons I receive in the mail. I save a bunch of money. And then, as soon as I pay for my items, I pay off the credit card.
- Use Kohl’s cash. Kohl’s will often have promos where you get $10 in Kohl’s cash for every $50 you spend. You can spend the Kohl’s cash at a later date. Be sure to take your coupons with you, too, as you can combine coupons and Kohl’s cash…making your next purchase even cheaper!
- Sign up for the Kohl’s Rewards program. In addition to all of the other savings, you’ll receive a $5 credit to Kohl’s for every $100 you spend. AND, you get a 15% off coupon when you sign up. I applied for the rewards program the last time I was in Kohl’s – I received the points from my purchase and an extra 100 points for completing my online profile. This means I already have $10 in rewards to spend on my next shopping trip!
I put all of these tricks to work on a “Back-to-School” shopping trip I just made for my kids, and I can’t wait to show you everything we got (I am totally making them model everything).
What’s your favorite thing to buy at Kohl’s? Do you have any money-saving tips or favorite sales you like to shop?