I always appreciate when I get great gift advice for my kiddos. Nothing better than someone who has a similar aged kid that can tell you when something has been a success for them. I hate spending money on presents that my dudes respond to with an “eh” instead of a “this is awesome mom!” I also need toys that can withstand the rambunctiousness of two boys. If the item disintegrates within two minutes of being held then that leads to unhappiness for all.
So, good news! These items come highly recommended and will likely make your 8 year old boy super happy this Christmas.
- Pokémon cards – Let’s start off with a biggie. These are big right now, HUGE! They are hoarded, traded, stolen by younger siblings, lost, stockpiled, used as bartering tools and you can never have too many. They would make an awesome stocking addition if you’re getting a larger gift (like several on the list below) or they have bigger packs if you’re going for it!
- Nintendo Classic Mini – I’m not quite sure if this next gift suggestion would mostly benefit your 8 year old son or his 30/40ish old father. Nonetheless it would be a big hit. Nintendo classic mini is being rereleased and has everyone trying to figure out how to get their hands on one. I’m sure it would lead to some great father/son bonding time and thus would give moms maybe a few moments to ourselves (or, we might find ourselves hijacking it!). It comes loaded with 30 nostalgic games already on the device. Overall, it’s a win win win!
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid books – I know that I’m already trying to limit electronic usage with my boys. If you want to have a great response for “mom I’m bored,” try the Diary of a Wimpy kid book set. It’s perfect for this age range and really appeals to both genders. Lots of their friends have read or are reading these so it will be fun for them to be “in the know.”
- “I Survived” book series – Another great book series is the I survived chapter book series. These are great and highly relatable to young boys. These books tell a thrilling story from history through the eyes of a boy who survived, such a neat concept. They’re also super popular, so the cool factor is in play here. Plus, you can never have too many books!
- 3D Pen – As a mom of boys I’m always trying to find new crafting ideas that I think they would like and that won’t be super messy. The IDO3D Vertical Pen could likely be used for younger kids too, but I think age 8 would be good for actually being able to make complex objects. It’s a 3D pen. How fun does that sound? You are basically able to kind of manually build and design whatever your mind thinks of. Want a submarine? 3D make it. Think a sculpture of your family dog might be neat? You can draw and then as you do the material will firm up and you can add to it. This really is neat and is another wonderful non screen time toy option that’s non messy and is self-guided.
- Kindle for Kids – In an effort to satisfy both the desire for electronics and the necessity of reading, the Kindle for kids is a superb compromise. For the avid boy readers in this group this would be a great choice. It’s not super pricey and it is a library in their hands. It’s light, portable, and actually discounts the electronic books available. There is also a Kindle Freetime option where you can set time limits and track usage etc. Your 8 year old would love this gift!
- Metal detector – Many kiddos at this age are learning how to count money and hearing mom and dad talk about it a little more. For the treasure hunting 8-year-old boy in your home you could get a child-sized metal detector. These usually end up being fun for the whole family and they actually encourage exercise. All sorts of metal things can be found and the prospect of tracking down items of potential value at the local park is really appealing to anyone looking to boost their allowance!
- Rogue One LEGOS – I’m pretty sure when you’re born male that a love of all things Star Wars is embedded in your DNA. At least that’s what the 3 males in my household would lead you to believe. If this sounds like your son then you’ve undoubtedly heard that there is a new Star Wars coming out in 3 weeks. These new Rogue One Legos would be sure to generate a squeal of delight. Boys and legos. NO way to go wrong.
- Diary of a Minecraft Zombie – Next up on our list is the Diary of a minecraft zombie series. These are hilarious books about minecraft adventures that are all the rage. If you know anyone into minecraft and you’re looking to have them give their electronics a rest, these are sure to satisfy.
- Nintendo 3DS – Finally, a Nintendo 3Ds would be another big ticket suggestion. It’s a personal gaming device that has lots of game options. It has a few other bells and whistles like cameras and some internal storage options. Gone are the days of poor graphics on a gameboy–these bad boys are color and in 3D without the need to wear glasses or anything else. This gift would make you a hero for your 8 year old son!
What are you getting your 8-year-old this year? We’d love to hear your ideas!
Here are some other great gift ideas for kids.